Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Helpful tips for keeping your eyes on Jesus while you live in your busy world!

Last night I had the best time with a group of gals at First Baptist Church in Camden, AR. We gathered together on a cold/wet night to study God's word and encourage one another in our walks with the Lord. I loved the group of gals the Lord brought together. We had young ladies who brought babies to older ladies who were so full of wisdom and love for our sweet Savior. One thing we all had in common--- we all live busy, crazy lives. From carpool to laundry to church work, all of us stay too busy for our own good! Because of our tendency to live busy lives, we recognized that we often fight the tendency of forsaking our first love in Jesus Christ. As we talked through scripture, we were reminded about the importance of keeping our eyes focused on Christ. We learned the value of continually moving forward in our walks with Christ with a sense of openness and surrender before the Lord. We learned that we must be rooted in Christ through salvation and built up in Christ through sanctification--- becoming more like Jesus every day and less like the world in every way. We were reminded about the importance of taking daily steps of faith and how stepping out in faith provides a "space" in our life for God to do amazing things. The call to be thankful in every circumstance really put the icing on the cake and reminded all of us that when we are thankful we will have eyes that are focused on Jesus because we will recognize how He sustains and provides in our lives. (Col. 2:6-7)

At the end of the night, I shared a few practical tips that I use in my life to help guard my relationship with Jesus from my busy and sometimes crazy world. I shared that I strive to have my quiet time each day before I hit the reactive point in my day. This means that I strive to establish God's authority over my life before life starts happening to me. For me, my reactive point occurs when I turn on my computer, smart phone, or answer the telephone. Therefore, it is important for me have my quiet time before these points occur. The reason why is simple. When I react in life, I want to react out of God's love instead of my natural self. Second, I utilize personal worship in my daily walk with Jesus to help stay focused on my King. I use my ipod for this almost every day. Early in the day, I worship the King. This step helps me to get my eyes off of myself and to put my focus on knowing, loving, and serving Jesus throughout my day. Finally, I make scripture memory a priority in my day so that I always have God's Word with me--- no matter where I go or what I face. I will never forget a question the Lord asked me one day in my quiet time. The Lord asked, "Andrea, if you did not have access to my Word on a daily basis in your life, how much of the Word would you have hidden in your heart?" My answer, "not enough!"

These are a few things that I do to remain focused in my daily walk with the Lord. Now, I have a question for you. "What do you do on a daily basis to stay focused in your walk with the Lord?" Do tell, sister!


Love!
Andrea @ TVM

No comments: