Friday, August 5, 2011

Sweet Moments with Jesus

The best thing happened to me last night during the night. I woke up at 4:00am and spent some much needed time with the Lord.

Like any mom, it is not uncommon for me to wake up during the night. I am always on standby for Jake, Andrew, and now our little dog Lulu! However, something about last night was different. When I woke up, I knew I was the only one awake. Not only that, I went from a deep sleep to fully awake in a matter of seconds.

As soon as I woke up, I immediately thought about Psalm 63:6-8, "On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."

Last night as I thought about this passage, I knew the Lord was offering me a chance to spend some alone time with Him. I am so glad I did! The uninterrupted time with Jesus was priceless. I talked to Him and then took the time to listen for His reply. I thought about different times in my life when I regularly woke up to spend time with Jesus. Two examples came to mind: When Jay and I were first married we lived in Huntsville, AL. We attended a church where the pastor challenged the congregation to ask God to wake us up in the middle of night so we could pray. I took the challenge and spent several nights in prayer. Then I thought about the time when I was in Seminary. During my Seminary years, the Lord woke me up regularly to pray.

To be honest with you, it has been awhile since I asked the Lord to wake me up in the middle of the night. Thankfully, God did not wait for me to ask Him. He knew what I needed and took the necessary steps to get my attention. And, oh, what a difference His work makes in my life!

Today I want to challenge you to ask the Lord to wake you up one night soon. And as soon as He does, allow Psalm 63:6-8 to guide your time.
• Take a few minutes and think about the way the Lord works in your life. (Psalm 63:6)
• Recognize the protection you receive when you live in the shadow of Jesus. (Psalm 63:7)
• Resolve to cling to Jesus during your day no matter how overwhelming the circumstances appear to be. (Psalm 63:8)

I love you and I count it an honor to serve you.

Sweet Dreams!
Andrea@TVM

No comments: