Thursday, August 27, 2009

Scripture Memory

Hey Friends!!

I hope your week is going great!! Today I want to encourage you to train your mind with God's Word. I have been challenged in my personal walk to begin memorizing large sections of Scripture. At first, I was overwhelmed by this call. Now, I embrace this call with all my heart. You see, as I take God's Word into my life, I am changed. I am changed by the living active Words of God. These Words point out sin in my life and spotlight areas where my theology is weak or just plain wrong.

Not too many years ago, I would have been afraid of this process in my life. In those days, it was all about being right in my own eyes. Not anymore!! Now, I want to be right in God's eyes. As a result, I pray, "Lord, show me my sin and reveal my shallow views of You!" I welcome the work of the Spirit in my life because I want to know Christ and I want to live my life for Christ. Sin and shallow views simply must go and I must cling to God's Words every single day.

As you and I memorize God's Word, we are equipped. We are readied to face the decisions, tasks, and difficult circumstances that come our way. When split second decisions are required, we can draw on God's Word, which is hidden in our hearts, to guide us in His way.

I am currently working on memorizing the book of 1 Peter. I have the first ten verses of chapter one down. I know that is not a lot of progress, but I am thankful. Within the first ten verses, there are many deep truths taught. God's Word is rich and will change the way you and I live our lives.

I challenge you to pick a passage of scripture and memorize it. Quote the passage through out your day. When you feel anxious--- speak God's Word and experience His peace. When you feel your heart wandering--- challenge your focus with God's Holy Word. When you feel confused, heartbroken, or filled with joy, proclaim God's Word and know He is more than enough for whatever circumstance you face.

The motto for my life has become--- know truth; live truth; share truth. Step one: we have to know truth! I invite you to join me in knowing truth. Hide His holy Word in your heart and know you will be ready to face your day. And, along the way, you will know Him more!

No comments: