Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Free To Thrive! Day 10--- A Tamed Tongue

“Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 141:3

How often do your lips get you in trouble? Have you ever walked away from a conversation and asked yourself, “Why did I say that?” I will confess. I have! Anytime I find my lips getting me in trouble, I breathe a quick prayer asking the Lord to guard my mouth and watch over my lips.

Words are powerful--- not because they hold power in and of themselves but because they reveal the state of your heart. Jesus said, “The things that come out of the mouth come from the heart.” (Matthew 5:18) This truth makes words very powerful.

The mouth provides an abundance of opportunity to sin. Critical words, harsh words, gossip, exaggeration, foul words, and words meant to put someone in their place are just a few examples. These words are not in line with God’s desires for your life and often become a form of self-preservation.

Each day you need to evaluate your words. Examining the way you talk to your husband, children, friends, coworkers, and self. Any time you sin with your mouth stop and confess the sin to God. Once you have confessed the sin, go to the person you sinned against and ask for their forgiveness. I can tell you; this more than any other practice, will cut down on harmful words flowing from your mouth.

Not long ago, I was on the phone with a friend. I was telling a story and exaggerated some of the details. After I hung up, I sensed the Lord’s conviction. I knew I had to pick up the phone and call my friend. My friend was gracious as I apologized for exaggerating the details of the story. Trust me. If you make very many of these phone calls you will think twice before you allow your mouth to sin.

Freedom comes when you speak God’s words not your own. This requires discipline and a sensitive spirit. The discipline becomes knowing when you are going into a potentially dangerous conversation and bathing that conversation in prayer. As you pray, ask the Lord to stop you when you begin to journey down a dangerous path. Then, when you are in the midst of the conversation, display a sensitive spirit and listen to the Holy Spirit. Stop the conversation when He says stop.

Imagine this--- no longer walking away from a conversation saying, “Why did I say that?” Now that’s freedom!

Questions---
Do you need to confess to a person in your life and tell them you sinned against them with your words?

If so, are you willing to take this step of obedience?

No comments: