Saturday, October 10, 2009

Free To Thrive! Day 8--- A Christ Centered Approval Process

“Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10

This verse is near and dear to my heart because I have struggled with trying to please people for most of my life. As a pleaser, I wanted everyone to like me and affirm the direction of my life. When it came time to make a tough decision, I often went to people around me for advice. Instead of filtering the advice through God’s Holy Word, I often felt trapped by the advice thinking I had to follow it or risk hurting someone’s feelings. This trap was tangible and often produced anxiety. Freedom came as I began to value Christ’s opinion over the opinions of others.

In Galatians, Paul draws a clear line in the sand. A servant of Christ will focus on winning the approval of Christ--- not winning the approval of others. Often the people we long to please are close to our hearts. People like our parents, spouse, friends, coworkers, children, church leaders, and boss. Freedom occurs in your life when your desire to please Christ supersedes your desire to please others.

If you struggle with pleasing people instead of pleasing Christ consider the steps below.
•Fast from others advice. Take a break from asking other people what you should do. Instead, use your time to talk to God.
•Saturate yourself in God’s Holy Word. Know His Word and allow the Bible to guide your decisions.
•Surround yourself with people who hold you accountable. Share your struggle with a close friend or family member. Be honest with them and let them know you long for freedom in this area of life. When you go to them for advice, ask them to ask you, “Have you prayed about this or what does God’s Word have to say?” If you have not prayed about the decision or if you do not know what the Bible has to say. Stop talking and start praying.

I can promise you that there is nothing quite like freedom in this area of life. Allowing the Word of God to become your standard frees you up as clear instruction takes the place of unclear opinions. No longer will you be bound up by an ever-changing system of thought that is dictated by the desires of others. Rather, freedom will become Jesus’ thoughts regarding your life.

The benefit of a Christ centered approval process is fellowship. As you turn to the Lord and ask Him what you should do you will experience a new kind of fellowship with the Lord as He becomes your best friend. Dear friend, if you are caught up in a people centered approval process, know freedom is available today!

Questions---
In all honesty, whom do you strive to please--- people, God, or both?

Do you believe you value people’s opinions over God’s opinion? Yes No

If so, please explain how this tendency has compromised spiritual freedom in your life.

No comments: