Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Big Picture Living!

Today's blog post is an article that I wrote last month for Women's Inc. This article was written and submitted long before I knew that a family in my church would find themselves thrust into the valley of the shadow of death. My friends, Larry and Sheryl Mulberry, lost two sons in a car accident. Keith was 18 and Jacob was 16.

It has been one week since the accident and my church family and community continues to grieve the profound loss of Keith and Jake. Keith and Jake were full of life and love. Both boys loved and served Jesus. As you might guess, Keith and Jake touched many lives. Yesterday at the service, I watched Larry and Sheryl celebrate the life their boys lived. Without a doubt, Larry and Sheryl have displayed big-picture-living as they have accepted God's plan for Keith and Jake. A moving moment during the service occurred as the congregation sang, It is Well With My Soul. Both Larry and Sheryl sang with hands lifted high in praise to God.

I dedicate this article to Larry, Sheryl, and Bobbie Mulberry. Thank you for embracing the call to big-picture-living. You have set a Christ-like example for all of us! May God grant you His strength and peace as you continue to lean on Him!


Embrace a big-picture perspective with faith!


My boys recently brought home their art projects from school. I love it when the boys bring artwork home. Seeing Jake and Andrew creatively express their ideas on paper brings joy to this non-creative mom’s heart. However, the most recent art project that one brought home left me scratching my head. As I looked at the project, I had no idea what to say. I wanted to find something positive and uplifting to say about the work, but, honestly, I was at a loss for words. I had no idea what the picture represented. I asked my son a few prompting questions and soon learned that the picture was a vase with flowers. “Mom, can’t you tell?” was my son's defeated response. “Of course, honey, now I see it,” came my reassuring reply.
 
Sometimes we see our lives much like I saw my son's art project. We know something is there but we have no idea what kind of picture God is attempting to create. As a result, we may go to the Lord with a few prompting questions.
• “Lord, what is this obstacle I face?”
• “Lord, how can I figure out what You are calling me to do?”
• “Lord, when will I understand your plan for my life?”
 
Thankfully, God knows exactly the picture He is creating with our lives. He sees the big picture. This means that God sees and knows every detail going on in our lives-- past, present, and future. Not only does God see and know every detail going on in our lives, God uses every detail in our lives to draw us closer to Him. I can think of no greater reassurance of truth in my life than this: God sees, God knows, and God cares.  
 
Each day you have the chance to live your life with a big-picture perspective. Big-picture-living requires that you recognize that there is more going on around you than you can see or know. One mark of a mature believer in Jesus Christ is displayed in big-picture-living. At the very heart of big-picture-living resides the truth that God is in control of your life even when your life seems out of control.    

In the book of Proverbs, King Solomon gave the following instruction. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, New International Version)

This passage of scripture provides the basic building blocks for big-picture-living. First, we must trust the Lord. For me, one of the hardest times to trust the Lord is when I have no idea what He is doing in my life. Placing my trust in the Lord during confusing times displays a heart that believes that God sees and knows every detail going on in my life. Second, we must forsake an earthly perspective on our situations. Oh, how challenging this point can be! Solomon made this point clear when he said, “lean not on your own understanding.” Forsaking my perspective in confusing situations shows that I understand that my view is limited. Instead of leaning on my understanding, I am called to do one thing--- acknowledge the Lord. 
  
Today you can know that God is creating an eternal picture with your life. The best way to view and understand this picture occurs as you embrace an eternal or big-picture perspective. This type of perspective allows you to trust the Lord with all your heart no matter how confusing your life may seem. As you embrace a big-picture perspective, you will discover something very amazing. The areas of your life that once seemed confusing will slowly come into focus as you trust God and know this reassuring truth--- God sees, God knows, and God cares for you.

No comments: