Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Step Forward

Today I will be posting an updated bio on the TVM website. This posting represents a big step in my personal walk with the Lord. Allow me to share.

Around 10:00 p.m. last night, I was on the TVM website looking around and seeing if anything needed to be updated. I saw a few things but nothing major. Then I decided to click on my bio and read the content. For the first time, I was aware that the bottom portion of my bio shared more information about my experiences serving in the local church than my passion to teach women the Word of God. I thought about that for a few minutes and knew it was time to make a change.

When I wrote the first bio and placed it on the website, my heart was torn between two ministry calls--- local church work and teaching women the Word. My bio reflected this struggle. At the time, my love for local church work was fresh and my longing to return was real. In those first days of official women’s ministry, my heart desperately wanted to return to familiar ground. However, I was determined to follow the Lord no matter how uncomfortable I had to be.

Today, by God’s grace, I am in a different place. I no longer feel the struggle. My heart is planted completely in teaching women God’s Word. I do not long to return to the former comforts of my life. I long to move forward and serve God no matter what.

Things I will always miss about local church work:

  • Ministering within a team of people. I miss serving with a staff. Some of my most cherished memories occurred with fellow servants called by God to equip God’s people for His service.
  • Serving the same group of people each week and watching their faith grow. For the most part, the women I teach changes weekly. New faces can be a blessing but I miss seeing the effect of the Word of God as it takes root in lives.
  • Putting together a ministry plan and watching the pieces fall into place. I loved hearing from the Lord regarding the ministry direction of the church. Whether it was a discipleship plan or an evangelism emphasis, I found this fun!

    Things I love about teaching women the Word of God:
  • The peace in knowing I am where God has called me to be.
  • The frequent moments when I cannot but I know He can (and will!)
  • The quiet times of study when the Lord allows me to receive His Word for a group of ladies.
  • Meeting so many neat ladies and seeing the Body of Christ from a larger perspective.
  • Freedom that comes from knowing I am in over my head!

No comments: