Wednesday, April 8, 2009

McPherson Prison

Yesterday I spent the day at McPherson Prison in Newport, Arkansas. The day began very early. I left my home around 4:45am and picked up my friend Tammy Fletcher in Beebe. We arrived at the prison at 6:45. We entered the prison and went through the process of checking in. Once cleared, we made our way to the P.A.L. barrack.

As we entered the barrack, the lights were out but the Spirit of God was bright. The women were singing praise and worship songs and I instantly felt at home. As I watched the women worshiping the Lord, I felt tears gather in my eyes. I was overwhelmed because I saw and heard genuine worship. Not the kind of worship that I often see in the free world but worship that is born out of desperation. Women were on their knees with their faces to the ground. Others were lifting up their hands and crying out to God. What a moving sight!

The morning went by quickly with teaching by Chaplin Dewitt. Around 11:30 the women lined up to go to lunch. Tammy and I were in for the full experience as we took our place in line and headed to the lunch room. If I can be very honest, the food was truly awful. What amazed me was that several of the women said it was a "good day" regarding the food. My my, I am spoiled.

Following lunch, Tammy and I had the great honor of visiting other areas of the prison and ministering to the women through prayer. God ordained some incredible visits and I was just in awe of the women He brought across our paths. One area we went in was called the in take area. This is the area where new prisoners are housed until they are placed in a more permanent location. The women in this area were open for prayer because they were still trying to grasp their current situation in life. We prayed with two women but soon had to leave.

In the afternoon, Tammy and I had the chance to teach God's Word. The women were open and hungry for spiritual food. I spoke on Psalm 25:15. This verse states, "My eyes are ever on the Lord for only He will release my feet from the snare." This verse, penned by David, challenges believers to examine their focus in life. In a sense--- asking the questions, "What are we looking to?" and "What are we looking for?" Scripture taught that the answer to these questions should be--- THE LORD! As I spoke, the Lord gave me a clear challenge for the ladies--- "If you are looking forward to your physical freedom more than you are looking to the Lord, you are missing the great opportunity to experience spiritual freedom right here behind bars." The women received this strong Word with an open heart!

Soon Tammy and I left the prison and headed home. I will confess that Sonic was our first stop following our departure. A cheeseburger and coke hit the spot after our long day!

Today, as I think back on the day, my heart breaks for many of the women I met. I think about the young women who are going to be in prison for the rest of their lives. Oh, how, I want to just wave my hand over their situations and make things better. I think about the mothers who are missing valuable years in their children's lives and I want to jump in the middle of each situation and make the hurt go away. I think about the women who still do not "get it" and I want to grab each of them and force them to understand God's amazing grace. I think about the precious lady who is spending the next 5 years of her life in prison instead of sitting in her Bible Study class at her home church and I want to ask, "why Lord--- why did this have to happen to her?"

Even as these thoughts run through my mind, I hear the precious truth of God's Holy Word deep inside my heart. For many of these women, prison will be the best thing that ever happened to them. The reason why--- prison will be the avenue God uses to bring them into a deeper abiding relationship with Jesus Christ. Because of this fact, we can know that prison becomes a place of hope and rescue for many women. What an amazing paradox we see in this thought--- physical bondage which ultimately brings spiritual freedom. Lord may it be!

Today as I sit at my computer and ask, "What can I learn from my prison experience?" The answer is found in the same truth--- often the difficult situations in my life provide an avenue for God to bring me into a deeper abiding relationship with Jesus Christ. This occurs in my life as I look to the Lord every single day. As I surrender to the teaching found in Psalm 25:15, "My eyes are ever on the Lord for only He will release my feet from the snare."

Dear sister, as you read this blog, the same truth is available in your life. As you fix your eyes on the Lord, you too can experience freedom no matter how bound your circumstances make you feel. In short, spiritual freedom is available and it is available right now. If you want that freedom, follow the teachings of God's Holy Word. Fix your eyes on the Lord Jesus and know that He longs to deliver you from any snare or trap that you have fallen in to.

No comments: