Sunday, January 23, 2011

The power of p. p. in your daily life!

I know the title for today's post is interesting. As a mom of two boys, p.p. usually means one thing in our house! However, when I share the story behind today's title, I think you will agree that we all need the power of p.p. in our daily lives!

Last Thursday we had some work done in our kitchen. As a result, our kitchen was closed. Jake and Andrew were hungry following school so I took them to McDonalds to pick up an early supper. Jake, Andrew, Lulu--our dog, and I got in the car. As we drove to McDonalds, I began to think that I had made a serious mistake by bringing the dog along. Lulu is new to our family and has not been out of the house to run errands. To say that Lulu is high-strung is a major understatement! Lulu is wild! As I thought about ordering the boys food via the drive through, I pictured Lulu barking and running around in the car. So, I made a snap decision to park the car in the front parking space and run inside to order the boys food. I told the boys to stay in the car and keep the doors locked. I assured the boys that I would be able to see them the whole time. Jake my oldest asked a question. "Mom, what if someone tries to break in?" I told Jake that I would have my eye on them the whole time and that the car would be locked. Jake's response. "Mom, don't worry. If anyone tries to break in, I will use the p.p. approach." Again my mind went to my idea of p.p. and I thought, "that just might work!" Jake went on to explain that if anyone tried to break in the car, he would take care of the situation with p.p. Jake said, "you know mom, I will pray and punch!"

As I sat in my car, I laughed at Jake's sense of humor. He is a sharp boy who is able to come up with a plan in a short amount of time. It was not until later that I began to process the value of Jake's p.p. approach to life. How often we find ourselves in a difficult situation and pray but never actively engage in the solution. Maybe we have a stronghold in our life and we just want that area to disappear instead of taking the necessary steps to renew our mind. Or, maybe we find ourselves punching at the problems in our lives by trusting in our own strength to overcome and failing to talk to God and ask for His solutions for our life.

The balance to both of these extremes is seen in the p.p approach to life--- praying and punching! This week as you encounter difficulties, strongholds, or problems; stop and pray. Surrender to the fact that as a created being, you were designed for a Creator. You cannot live the life God calls you to live in your own strength. You must be in communication with God! Next, begin to look for ways that you can punch the difficulties, strongholds, or problems by actively engaging in the solution God has for you. Avoid living a passive Christian life. Get in there and fight! As you do, you will discover the power of p.p. at work in your life!


Andrea @ TVM!

No comments: